No one wants to say goodbye to the warmer weather. But with winter just around the corner, it's time to turn up the heat.
No matter what the season throws at you, come rain, hail or shine, at home or on-the-go, our winter warmer recipes will be sure to keep you inspired...and your kids snuggly!
orange and pumpkin soup
Super simple, just a few staple and seasonal ingredients to make this healthy and heart-warming soup the family can enjoy.
- 500g pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 2 potatoes
- Juice from 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 litre stock, prepared earlier or store-bought
- 25g butter
- Salt, pepper to season
1. Wash, peel and chop the vegies.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan and add prepared onion, pumpkin and potatoes, and grated ginger. Saute for a few minutes until ginger is fragrant and your tummy is rumbling!
3. Add stock and orange juice, season lightly as you like (depending on kiddies, you may prefer to season individual serves later) and bring to boil.
4. When vegies are soft (approx. 10 minutes later) remove saucepan from heat. Using a handheld mixer, whiz up your soup until it is perfectly combined.
5. Serve it up with a dollop of yoghurt for some extra creaminess (& dairy goodness) or for the grown-ups, a sprinkle of chilli flakes to turn up the heat.
autumn carrot & feta pizza
If your littlies have ever been unsure about vegie pizzas, this beauty will be a game changer.
- pizza base of choice (home-made or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 200g dutch carrots – washed, peeled and sliced thin lengthways
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g fetta, crumbled
- sprinkle of thyme
1. Spread your pizza base with the tomato paste then top with the carrot and onion. Sprinkle over the thyme and fetta.
2. Bake for around 15 mins in a moderate oven, or until carrot is nicely tender and fetta is golden.
3. Cut into slices and serve it up warm. Pairs well with a crispy, seasonal salad.
spicy apple crumble
Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what all good desserts are made from. Apple-y eaten for breakfast or dessert!
- 6 apples, washed, peeled and sliced thinly
- juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
- 200gms butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cups plain flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place apples in a greased ovenproof dish. Pour over lemon juice, and mix it through the apple slices.
2. To make the crumble, in a separate bowl melt butter then add the brown sugar and mix gently. Add the flour, oats and spicy cinnamon and mix well.
3. Spoon the crumble mixture over the apples and spread evenly.
4. Bake in a moderate oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the crumble is perfectly golden and apples are tender.
5. Serve with a scoop or ice-cream or a dollop of custard.
Guaranteed to warm the soul every time!